Search This Blog

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Before the West Edge project was conceived, the western part of Cheyenne was known as "El Poso"

BY RICHARD JOHNSON

I first heard “The Poso" from the dad of my significant other, Kim. I love Cheyenne history, and I had never heard of “El Poso." So, of course, I was intrigued. 
According to Google translate, “El Pozo" means “The Well.” But in this case, most residents say it means “The Bottoms.” It’s the area around Martin Luther King Park from Lincolnway north to 20th street. The stories from this area are as amazing as are the people who lived there. 
From the 1930s through the 1970s, this area seemed to be an area of little rules, little law enforcement and lots of legend. From dance parties on the sidewalks and streets to New Mexico immigrants coming north in hope of work for the Union Pacific. Some comments from readers:
“My dad was Marcello, who owned the store on West 18th Street. My mom is still alive and is 98 years old and still lives there. I was born at the house. It is considered The Bottoms. The police never wanted to go to that side of town. It was different then as that generation of honor and honesty are all deceased.”
“Many of the families lived in the Poso – huge families, lots of siblings, hard working. Lots of Hispanic families. Actually I never saw any white families, and not many African Americans came to that side of town. Religion for many was Catholic.”
“Coke Gonzales was our neighbor. He worked for the railroad and did upholstery.  He had a big family too.  I think the baseball field next to the MLK is named after Coke Gonzales.”
“The Jackson family lived on the corner of 17th Street, and they had a place called the Tip and Inn, where people would go party, drink, etc., fighting. It was crazy.”
“I never was allowed to go, but I could hear all the cars, parties going on.  The Chicken Shack was across the street, and my husband’s grandfather owned that place.”
“Off of Missile Drive next to the tracks, LA Llorna lived back in there. There were a group of women called themselves the Walking Westsiders that was as big as gangs got back then. They would get together with a rival gang of girls called the Southside Packers. Neither side liked each other. Tody’s bar was down in there, owned by the Tottenhoffs.  Leon Reed had the Tippin Inn. He still owes it, I believe. There was way more train traffic crossing the lines that are still in existence today.”
“Very few Anglos know of the Poso. Families included Ramirez (my family),Tafoya, Solis (my relatives), Aldana and Gonzalezes (my relatives). The Black And Tan (after-hours drinking place) was on corner.”
“Japanese citizens also knew about the Poso through my uncle Jesse Jr. and Coke. Both ran bilingual newspapers in the ’30s, ’40s and ’50s. In English, one was called the Globe and one called the Herald. Had their own printing press.”
“El Poso, not ‘the’ Poso, was also generally referred to as the West Side. I was born and raised there until we moved ‘uptown’ (to the south side.)  Many, many stories and memories of the events and families in the area. Actually a great place to grow up without the bigotry we encountered elsewhere in town, like not being allowed to buy a house north of Pershing. But really, we didn't care much because we had, and have, a close-knit, supportive community with lots of love and laughter.”
“Harris BBQ. People would line up to get that barbecue. An elderly black man and his wife who made honest soul food that was well received by the community (1970s). It was a little community over there near the grocery store. It was a poorer section, but proud and open.”
“I remember my dad had a rifle by the door growing up. The Black Panthers were always outside in the street. The cops came and my dad told them he’d shoot anyone that got on his property.”
“Coke Gonzales would gather up kids in his truck and take them to ball fields around town. The white people went to City Council and complained because brown kids were at the ball fields.” 
“I grew up in a whore house on the West Side. My mom was a prostitute and she and the other ladies would give me money to go buy them candy and cigarettes.” 
So what does the future hold for Cheyenne's West Side? Just like the past, new names are influencing the area. City officials Matt Ashby and Brandon Cammarata created an idea called the West Edge. Tons of activity and money have been spent to revitalize the area. West Edge Collective, Warehouse 21 and the new townhomes where Cupids to be and Flydragon Art Studio, where Fix and Mix used to be, are a few examples. 
These are the new legends like Harris BBQ, the Tippin Inn, the Chicken Shack. Just like Marcello’s grocery, which was open for 52 years.
“Creative energy taking very under-utilized properties and turning them into the new life for the West side of downtown.” 
Past: 10 years of study, planning design and hard work to create a new vision for an old industrial rail park that use to be the industrial center of our city. 
Current: More properties that have sold and changed hands with new plans and new construction than downtown Cheyenne has seen in the past 25 years. 
Future: a reinvented flood-free urban mixed use downtown development area full of, art, creativity, housing and business for the new economy that is inspired by the Rhino District (River North in north Denver) and has a signature pedestrian (walkable and bikeable and skateable) connecting the walkway from the residential area to the downtown core.” 
As you can see, Cheyenne is great bastion of local history and a progressive future. The newcomers will create their own stories, but should never forget those of the past. 
I’d love to hear more stories about the West Side. Please email me your stories richardjohnson82001@gmail.com

Richard Johnson is a former City Council member from Cheyenne' east side.

2 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, I saw comments from people who had already got their loan from
    Unit Loan Offer. Honestly I thought it was a scam, and then I decided
    to make a request based on their recommendations. A few days ago, I
    confirmed in my personal bank account amounting to 15,000 $ , which I
    requested for business. This is really good news and I am so happy that I
    advise all those who need a real loan and who are sure to reimburse to
    apply through their email (unitloanoffer@gmail.com) There are sincere
    loan lenders!

    They are able to lend you a loan.
    Contact: Unit Loan Offer
    E-mail: unitloanoffer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete