Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Johnson: One of my proudest moments was when Cheyenne became a "Purple Heart City"

BY RICHARD JOHNSON
“Now therefore be it resolved by the Governing Body of the City of Cheyenne, Wyoming, that the City of Cheyenne hereby declares and proclaims Aug. 7th as a 'Purple Heart Day' and the City of Cheyenne to be a 'Purple Heart City.' "
Two years ago I drafted this resolution. The story behind it showed love to friends, family and country. 
In 2017, my friend Brian asked me if I would attend an event at the Veterans Administration center in Cheyenne for a truck
that drives across the country. It celebrates the valor of those who have received the Purple Heart. I didn’t speak at the event, but I went to support my lifelong friend. 
After the ceremony,  Brian’s mom told me she thought it would be nice if the city recognized its combat-wounded veterans. She asked if it could be a secret from Brian to surprise him. 
You see, Brian was wounded in Afghanistan, and I know his mom wasn’t happy when she got that call. It was the least I could do. The secret lasted about four hours since I needed data on the Military Order of the Purple Heart and Brian was president. 
According to the Military Order of the Purple Heart website, the mission The Purple Heart is to foster an environment of goodwill and camaraderie among combat-wounded veterans, promote patriotism, support necessary legislative initiatives, and most importantly, provide service to all veterans and their families.
“Our members are combat-wounded veterans who are dedicated to our country and our veterans community. We endeavor to do better for each other and by each other always.
Chartered by Congress for combat wounded veterans. The Purple Heart is composed of military men and women who received the Purple Heart Medal for wounds suffered in combat or by an act of international terrorism. Although our membership is restricted to the combat wounded, we support all veterans and their families with a myriad of nationwide programs by chapters and national service officers.”
As you can see, the part of legislative initiatives fell to me as a member of Cheyenne’s governing body. I drafted the resolution and sent it to legal. Legal actually called me and said this is one of the best documents I’ve seen brought forth before the City Council.
The council approved the resolution unanimously, and a standing ovation was given to the Purple Heart recipients. It was my proudest moment of my four years in office, and I know it meant a lot to those in attendance.  Cheyenne was the first “Purple Heart City" in Wyoming.
The Military Order of the Purple Heart took the reins, and in January 2018, Senate File 37 was introduced to the Legislature, proclaiming Wyoming as a Purple Heart State. The file made it through the legislature and on July 1, 2018, and Wyoming became a Purple Heart State.
No matter your politics, it always feels good so show respect to those who have been presented this medal. It’s not a medal you want to get. 
Just remember that when you see that space reserved for a Purple Heart recipient or a license plate with that George Washington profile, it isn’t just Baby Boomers or “The Greatest Generation.” It’s people our age and younger. 
Purple Heart recipients, thank you all for what you have done. And I’m glad Aug. 7 is now, and will forever be, “Purple Heart Day" in Cheyenne.

Richard Johnson is a former City Council member from Ward 3 on Cheyenne east side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment